Use a centralized sourcing strategy
to connect with more quality
candidates and to source top
talent for in an RPO provider
How often have you heard a recruitment consultant say they don’t have time to source passive candidates? It happens all the time. Recruitment consultants get pulled into a million directions and sourcing, particularly sourcing of passive candidates, inevitably takes a back seat.
Sourcing quality candidates takes a significant amount of time and energy. That’s where sourcing centers come into play. Sourcing centers provide a core infrastructure that can scale in accordance with your recruitment needs. They provide recruitment consultants with the ability to connect with more quality candidates in a timely manner by leveraging sourcing specialists to tackle the sourcing component of recruitment.
Fundamentally, sourcing specialists and recruitment consultants have different skillsets. To get the most out of a centralized sourcing model it is important to distinguish between sourcing specialists and recruitment consultants.
Sourcing specialists are great at finding, building, and cultivating candidate relationships. They build pools of talent and have a comprehensive understanding of internet sourcing tactics to be able to mine candidate lists from the internet and source talent from competing companies. They are experts at sourcing and spend 100% of their time focused on it. Because it is the only thing they do, they can spend the time necessary to bring more creativity and pro-activity to the task of sourcing top talent.
Recruitment consultants on the other hand are best at building relationships with hiring managers, understanding their business and knowing what type of candidates work effectively within the business unit and organizational culture. They focus on ensuring the end to end process is carried out in an efficient and effective manner and that the hiring manager is kept completely in the loop at all times.
Once you have distinguished between the two, rewards for effectively leveraging sourcing specialists in a centralized sourcing model can be significant.
Advantages of a centralized sourcing center model:
- Ability to move and deploy resources quickly against demand
- Advanced use of technology
- Leverage technology to network with passive candidates and keep them engaged and abreast of opportunities and changes
- Filter candidates based on key parameters and skillsets so able to leverage for future needs
- Increased Expertise
- Know the newest sourcing tools and techniques – use them daily Leverage job boards, social networks/clubs, alumni associations, internet sourcing tools, direct sourcing, and other approaches daily
- Strategic advantage
- Build strategic sourcing strategies that incorporates competitive intelligence
- Reduce time to fill and costs associated with locating passive candidates
- Cross training
- Sourcing specialists should have a specialized area of focus but also be cross trained to build expertise in an alternative area to assist during peak periods
Although there are a lot of advantages to a centralized sourcing center, there are several keys to success and these should be taken into account to ensure success.
Keys to success:
- Shared accountability and metrics
- This will drive partnerships between the recruitment consultants and sourcing specialists
- Sourcing specialists whose focus is too broad will be less successful in building robust candidate pipelines. If possible assign a small number of specific talent communities to each sourcing specialist so they can drill down to the level of expertise required to add value
- Choose the location of the sourcing centre carefully. Factors such as supply and demand for qualified talent, workforce stability, cost of resources and facilities, reliability of technology and internet connectivity and other factors should all be assessed before making a decision.
- Integrated technology and system that allows for professional networking and communication
- Regular communication
- Regular meetings with core team to stay abreast of changing priorities, updates within client company and industry
- Continuous improvement
- Refine and review every year
- Optimize what works
Sourcing centers can help increase your database of active and passive candidates. They can also increase the productivity of your client facing recruitment consultants and ensure they spend more time with the people that count the most – the Hiring Managers! While there are challenges in establishing a sourcing center, the rewards are well worth the effort.
Contact Hudsron RPO to learn how we can help with your recruiting needs.